An automatic measurement system for terahertz (THz) transmission spectroscopy based on difference-frequency generation (DFG) of widely tunable coherent THz waves via excitation of a phonon-polariton mode in GaP was constructed and improved to give it a wider frequency measurement range and four times greater S/N ratio by using the double-beam method. In this paper, we present spectroscopic measurements of nucleobases, nucleosides, deoxynucleosides, and nucleotides, all of which are the components of RNA and DNA molecules, in the range of 0.4-5.8 THz in order to compare their characteristic features in the wider terahertz frequency region.
- Frequency-tunable coherent terahertz wave
- Terahertz spectrometer
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering